Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Graphic Novels Pt 2

I was walking around my school library the other day and did a double-take. Lo and behold:


Jane Eyre, the graphic novel. Does anyone else think there's something wrong with this?

After finding it, I did a little looking around and found more:


There's one for Dracula too, but I couldn't get the image to copy. I'm sure there are plenty of others out there as well, but was too depressed to look. If you're going to read Shakespeare or Bronte or Stoker, at least havethe respect to read the stories as they were intended. I have no issue with graphic novels or authors who wish their books to be published or re-published as such. But these authors had no say in how their stories are being handled, and in many cases, rewritten.

The point of these stories being classics is less about the story they tell (after all, anyone can tell a story about tragic lovers) and more the meaning given in how it's told. And now it's all being changed because most teenagers are too lazy to read the actual book.

This is sad, guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment