Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Gone by Lisa McMann


"Janie thought she knew what her future held. And she thought she’d made her peace with it. But she can’t handle dragging Cabel down with her.

She knows he will stay with her, despite what she sees in his dreams. He’s amazing. And she’s a train wreck. Janie sees only one way to give him the life he deserves: She has to disappear. And it’s going to kill them both.

Then a stranger enters her life — and everything unravels. The future Janie once faced now has an ominous twist, and her choices are more dire than she’d ever thought possible. She alone must decide between the lesser of two evils. And time is running out...."
-Goodreads.com

Overall: 4/5

I'm not entirely sure what I expected from this book. I think I might have just gotten so excited that the third and final book in the Wake trilogy was finally here that I hadn't gotten past just the expectation that it would be good.

Well, that part of the expectaion was for sure not a let-down. As for other (though, somewhat non-existent) expactations, I was taken by surprise. I guess I thought it would be another Nancy Drew-type mystery/crime-solver story where Janie uses her cool super-powers to fight evil and, along the way, win the heart of ever-amazing Cabel.

But that's not how this one went at all. It focussed almost entirely on Janie and her past, current home-life, and future. There are a bunch of things revealed in this one that were hinted at in the previous books, but which I still never would have foreseen.

It was a beautiful wrap-up of what is one of my favorite series. Part of it makes me sad, but I'm not sure I would have been happy if it had ended any other way.

Characters: 4/5
Plot: 4/5
Ending: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Cover: 5/5
Happy Factor: 4/5

Other books by Lisa McMann: Wake, Fade

1 comment:

  1. I really need to read this series! I've heard so many amazing thinks.

    ReplyDelete