Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Deadly Little Lies by Laurie Faria Stolarz


"Last fall, sixteen-year-old Camelia fell for Ben, the mysterious new boy at school who turned out to have a very mysterious gift--pyschometry, the ability to sense the future through touch. But just as Camelia and Ben's romance began to heat up, he abruptly left town. Brokenhearted, Camelia has spent the last few months studying everything she can about psychometry, and experiencing her own strange brushes with premonition. Camelia wonders if Ben's abilities have somehow rubbed off on her. Can the power of psychometry be transferred?

Even once Ben returns to school, Camelia can't get close enough to share her secret with him. Despite the romantic tension between them, Ben remains aloof, avoiding contact. Then when an unexpected kiss leads to a frightening argument, Camelia makes the painful decision to let Ben go and move on. Adam, the hot new guy at work, seems good for her in ways Ben wasn't. Adam is easygoing, and seems to really care about her.

But when Camelia and Adam start dating, a surprising love triangle results. A chilling sequence of events upturns secrets from Ben's past--and Adam's. Someone is lying, and it's up to Camelia to figure out who-before it's too late." -
Goodreads.com

Overall: 4/5

I'm not sure why, but I didn't really have high expectations for this one. It took me forever to finally get around to reading it, which also had a little to do with how little I remembered of the first book. I ended up paging through the Deadly Little Secret before staring this one just as a reminder of what happened and who the characters were. And I'm glad that I did, because I think I would have been totally lost if I hadn't.

In truth though, I genuinely enjoyed this book. The dialogue was funny and the emotions real. I loved how Stolarz was able to connect Camelia's passion for ceramics into the plot, and particularly how detailed she was in the actual art of ceramics. As a clay-lover myself, I was excited that I actually knew what she was talking about when she used little bits of potters' lingo in the story.

And the ending to this one was so much more satisfying than the first. Seriously, I think I would have dropped the series if she had pulled another ending like that. But now it's not an issue.

Characters: 4/5
Plot: 3/5
Writing: 4/5
Ending: 4/5
Cover: 3/5
Happy Factor: 4/5

Other books by Laurie Faria Stolarz: Blue is for Nightmares Series, Deadly Little Secret

No comments:

Post a Comment