Thursday, April 29, 2010

Megan Meade's Guide to the McGowen Boys by Kate Brian


"Megan is used to moving from place to place -- it's typical for an army brat. But she drew the line at South Korea. She insists on staying in the States to finish her last two years of high school. So her parents made arrangements for Megan to live with their friends, the McGowans...and the McGowans' 7 sons.

Turns out, living with 7 boys might as well be a foreign country! The boys are messy. They are cliquey (who knew?). And worst of all, two of the oldest boys are H-O-T. (A problem considering they are supposed to be Megan's "brothers.") Megan is definitely in enemy territory. She needs to win over the boys' hearts without totally crushing her own.

And when Megan starts falling for one of them, sibling rivalry takes on a whole new meaning....

What is a girl to do?" -Goodreads.com

Overall: 4/5

I have two brothers (both younger, thankfully) so I was able to to sympathize with Megan to an extent on this one. It also made reading this book that much more enjoyable, because believe me when I say that Kate Brian got the sibling thing down perfectly. The bathroom wars, the bickering over the TV, the fist-fights, all of it. It made for a very enjoyable read.

Bits of the dialogue got on my nerves sometimes, and there were parts that seemed a little unrealistic (I mean, have you ever seen a fifteen year old I-hate-the-world punk admit that he was wrong, and to a girl, no less? Yeah, me neither), but I liked how the story went and how it was told, and it all ended up okay in the end.

Very cute, and with some important life lessons (namely, if I ever have seven sons, I should just shoot myself and get it over with).

Characters: 4/5
Plot: 3/5
Ending: 4/5
Cover: 3/5
Happy Factor: 4/5

Other books by Kate Brian: The Private series, The Princess and the Pauper, Fake Boyfriend

No comments:

Post a Comment