Friday, January 22, 2010

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl


"There were no surprises in Gatlin County.
We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.
At least, that's what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end, there was a grave.

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything." - Goodreads.com

Overall: 3/5

Please don't hate me for this review. I know that just about everyone else that I've heard from absolutely adores this book. And they should. It was a wonderful story and I could find almost nothing wrong with it at all. The plot was exciting and the characters very 3D. It was an icedible story and the writing was exquisit. There was no reason what-so-ever that I should not like this book. But I didn't.

And I think I know why, too. Call me sexist, but I can rarely get into a story with a male protagonist, particularly one told in first person. I just can't connect with it like I can with a female one. As terrible as this sounds, I think I would have loved this book if only it had been told form Lena's point of view.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who does not have this issue that I have with male protags. It was an excellent story, and I really wish I could have enjoyed it.

Characters: 5/5

Plot: 5/5

Writing: 5/5

Ending: 5/5

Cover: 5/5

This is the first book for both Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

No comments:

Post a Comment