Sunday, December 6, 2009

Devil's Kiss By Sarwat Chadda



"As the youngest and only female member of the Knights Templar, Bilquis SanGreal grew up knowing she wasn't normal. Instead of hanging out at the mall or going on dates, she spends her time training as a soldier in her order's ancient battle against the Unholy.

Billi's cloistered life is blasted apart when her childhood friend, Kay, returns from Jerusalem, gorgeous and with a dangerous chip on his shoulder. He's ready to reclaim his place in Billi's life, but she's met someone new: amber-eyed Michael, who seems to understand her like no one else, effortlessly claiming a stake in her heart.

But the Templars are called to duty before Billi can enjoy the pleasant new twist to her life. One of the order's ancient enemies has resurfaced, searching for a treasure that the Templars have protected for hundreds of years -- a cursed mirror powerful enough to kill all of London's firstborn. To save her city from catastrophe, Billi will have to put her heart aside and make sacrifices greater than any of the Templars could have imagined."
Overall: 4/5

When I first read the front flap on this book, I thought it would be good, but not spectacular. The idea is original, but for some reason I didn't expect it to really live up to its potential. This feeling could easily be chalked up to how little I've heard about it. Usually if a book is incredible, then by the time I finally get my hands on it, I'd have heard plenty of great things about it. Not so, with this one. So I wasn't expecting how very much I liked it.

Billi instantly wormed her way into my heart as a strong but also very human female protaganist. Her emotions were real and I was honestly surprised at how well Chadda was able to portray her.

I only wish that he had gone deeper into Kay's character. I always love a mysterious guy, but only so long as the mystery eventually, not necessarily gets solved, but at least becomes less mysterious.
Great ideas, great action, and fabulous debut from Sarwat Chadda!
Characters: 4/5
Plot: 5/5
Writing: 4/5
Ending: 3/5
Cover: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment